As I woke up on this dreary Memorial Day, my thoughts turned to two things – the first being my fiance, an Army Sgt serving in Canada, and wishing I was in Northern Jersey. Since Canada has Victoria Day, rather than Memorial Day – which takes place the week before the American Memorial Day – I sent him a good morning text and decided to start my day.
For almost as many Memorial Days as I can remember, I have been spending three day long weekends with a ground of people who I’ll refer to as The Band. These are a group of friends of the family who have long since crossed into chosen family and in some ways are even closer than family. This Memorial Day, however, I would not be spending the holiday with them. And it made me sad.
The Band always always grilled on Memorial Day. Steak, burger, hot dogs, chicken, fish, veggies- you name it, it was grilled. And it was the best grilled food that I’ve had in my life! Waking up with the prospect of spending a dreary Memorial Day without The Band meant that a tribute was in order.
I was going to grill.
Of course that I don’t have a grill could have been a problem. However, I do have the Pampered Chef Grill Pan. For those of you who do not have the space for a grill, or don’t have the Pampered Chef Indoor/Outdoor Grill (which I do not have either), the grill pan is amazing! First of all it comes with a LIFETIME WARRANTY! It’s easy to wash and NONSTICK! Better than a grill in my eyes. So, I saved my pennies and purchased it.
I had been looking forward for a reason to use the pan, and this was it!
Pulling my London Broil (which had been picked up on sale buy one; get one) out of the fridge, I released that it was WAY too big for me to eat. So I used the Silicone Coated Utility Knife to cut the steak in half THICKNESS-WISE. This brought it to about an inch thick.
Then I coated the steak with Auntie Arwen’s Royal Steak Rub. For those of you unfamiliar with this rub, here are the ingredients:
Savory Steak Trifle Recipe
1 London Broil
- Set 2 Cups of water on to boil and put 2 Tbs of butter into the water. When water boils, put in yellow rice for 20 – 22 minutes.
- Heat the Grill Pan for five minutes
- Coat the steak in Auntie Arwen’s Royal Steak Rub (or a rub of your choice)
- Grill the steak for 3 min and 30 seconds per side for a one inch steak to come out medium well. When done, put steak aside to rest
- Cook corn.
- Layer (from bottom up): Rice, Beans, Corn, Steak & Cheese. Use half of the ingredients for the first layer grouping and the second half for the next. Push ingredients towards the sides.