Has this ever happened to anyone else? I was just sipping on a soda, watching t.v., and a local friend called me stating that she has decided to have a little get together for Memorial Day weekend. We’ve been having some Great weather, and she figured a BBQ tonight would be great fun. “Sure,” I say. Before she hangs up, she says, “Bring something.”
I could either run to the store and pick up a random baked goodie. OR… I can raid the food I have and make sure that it doesn’t go bad. Since I like not wasting money, I went for the latter.
One of the lesser known cool things that the Pampered Chef website has FREE TO ALL is an AMAZING Recipe section. So, I flip open the laptop, and star perusing… And I find….
A quick read through the instructions proves that I have EVERYTHING I need. (That almost never happens…) Pulling out my bar pan, I quickly set to rolling out my crescent rolls flat and set those to bake.
While that’s cooking… I mix up the cream cheese and sugar… hand whipping – I don’t own an electric mixer- and spread it out. And using the quick slice to uniformly slice two bananas and a carton of strawberries in about 2 minutes, I splay them out. And in literally 25 minutes, I have an entire homemade dessert, perfect for Memorial Day Weekend!
Now, off to get ready for the party!
Un-Pampered Chef’ed Recipe (recipe without the suggested tools!)
- 1 1/2 pkg (8 oz or 235 g each) refrigerated crescent rolls
- 1 pkg (8 oz/250 g) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup (250 g) powdered sugar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) lemon juice
- 1 tsp (5 mL) lemon zest (optional)
- 1 cup (250 mL) fresh blueberries
- 1 lb (450 g) fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced (about 3 cups/750 mL)
- 2 medium bananas, sliced
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (180ºC). Unroll crescent dough into 3 long strips. Arrange dough on cooking stone, pinching seams together to seal. Bake 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven; cool completely.
- Combine cream cheese, powdered sugar, lemon juice and zest; mix well. Spread cream cheese mixture over top crust.
- Slice strawberries and bananas
- To assemble, arrange blueberries in a square in upper left corner to represent stars. Make alternating rows of strawberries and bananas to represent stripes. Cover with plastic wrap. Chill up to 6 hours.Yield:
- 16 servings
Nutrients per serving: Calories 190, Total Fat 10 g, Saturated Fat 4 g, Cholesterol 15 mg, Carbohydrate 23 g, Protein 3 g, Sodium 270 mg, Fiber 2 g